Project Type: DBFM: Design, Build, Finance and Maintain
Price of Contract: TBD
Estimated Value for Money: TBD
About the project:
The Crosstown is part of Metrolinx’s regional transportation plan--The Big Move. It is one of the first transit projects for the Toronto area and it will help to reduce congestion, offer reliable transit to Toronto residents and integrate transit services.
The Eglinton Crosstown will run across Eglinton Avenue between Mount Dennis (Weston Road) and Kennedy Station.
The 19-kilometre corridor will include a 10-kilometre underground portion, between Keele Street and Laird Drive.
It will have 25 stops and stations, linking to bus routes, three subway stations and various GO Transit lines.
• The Crosstown will provide fast, reliable and comfortable transit along Eglinton Avenue, from Mount Dennis in Toronto’s west end to Kennedy Station in the east end.
• The project also includes a maintenance and storage facility.
Community and Green Benefits
- A key objective of the overall project is to provide a seamless customer experience between the new LRT stations and the existing TTC operated subway system.
The new LRT lines will provide other benefits, including:
- increased reliability for passengers riding on the city’s transit system
- helping to reduce traffic congestion, green house gases and fuel consumption
- improving the quality of life for commuters by reducing daily travel time
Throughout the design and construction phases, the successful contractor will partner with local companies and community groups to provide jobs, training and other opportunities.