Location: York Region (Vaughan, Markham and Richmond Hill)
Project Type: Design Build Finance (DBF)
Infrastructure Type: Transit
IO's Role: Commercial Procurement Advisor
About the Project:
- The Project consists of the design and construction of bus rapidways along two segments of the Highway 7 Viva east-west rapidway corridors in the Cities of Vaughan and Markham and the Town of Richmond Hill.
- Metrolinx, The Regional Municipality of York and York Region Rapid Transit Corporation (YRRTC) are working to deliver the next phase of York Viva Bus Rapid Transit (vivaNext) rapidways in Vaughan, Markham and Richmond Hill. Infrastructure Ontario is acting as a procurement advisor for the project.
- The expanded vivaNext rapid transit system will make it easy to travel in and around York Region and connect to other transit systems across the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area (GTHA).
- This phase of the vivaNext rapid transit system is being delivered using the AFP model. Once the AFP contract is awarded, York Region Rapid Transit Corporation (YRRTC) will continue to project manage all day-to-day construction operations and York Region will operate YRT/Viva service. Metrolinx will retain ownership of the bus rapidway.
The “H2” corridor of the VivaNext project delivered via AFP consists of two segments:
H2 West - Vaughan
The H2 West corridor will include:
- approximately 4.6 kilometres of dedicated bus lanes on Highway 7
- five stations, two curb stations and eight platforms
The dedicated bus lanes will run from Bruce Street to Interchange Way/Edgeley Boulevard.
H2 East – Vaughan and Richmond Hill
The H2 East corridor will include:
- approximately 9.3 kilometres of dedicated bus lanes
- five stations and ten platforms
The dedicated bus lanes starts at the Highway 7/Centre Street and extends eastbound on Centre Street to Bathurst; then north on Bathurst to the connecting road to Highway 7; then, from Highway 7 to Yonge Street.
Flexibility will be built into the design to allow for coordination with future development in Markham Centre.
Infrastructure Ontario's Role:
Metrolinx and York Region Rapid Transit Corporation (YRRTC) have engaged Infrastructure Ontario as a Commercial Procurement Advisor for the VivaNext project. Infrastructure Ontario will provide advice to Metrolinx during the procurement phase, while YRRTC manages the construction of the project.