The New Grandview Kids and Ajax Public Library formalize long-standing partnership
How a partnership positively impacts everyone who is involved
On Friday, February 10, Grandview Kids and Ajax Public Library jointly hosted a partnership celebration, announcing the Ajax Public library – Grandview Kids Branch. The branch will be located in Grandview Kids’ new headquarters, currently under construction in Ajax. With a focus on hope, belonging, discovery and celebration, the New Grandview Kids will be a Centre of Excellence in paediatric rehabilitation, set to open in fall 2024.
Having a library in a Children’s Treatment Centre can bring many benefits to clients, caregivers and staff. These benefits include:
- Encouraging a love of learning and encourage children and youth to explore new topics and ideas.
- Improving literacy skills and expand their vocabulary.
- Fostering creativity and imagination, while helping develop problem-solving skills and increase overall emotional intelligence.
- Promoting socialization, where children can come together to read and share books.
- Providing a sense of comfort and familiarity, helping to make their visit a bit more comfortable.
- Equipping clients and caregivers with tools and resources they need to feel informed and empowered while supporting the delivery of evidence-informed, family-centred care.
The Ajax Public Library – Grandview Kids Branch will be open to all members of the public during the facility’s regular operating hours, creating another inclusive space for the community to gather, learn and play. Visitors can borrow Sensory Kits and a mix of fiction and non-fiction items, as well as requesting items from other library locations for pick-up at the New Grandview Kids location. Computer access and educational programming will also be offered.
This new partnership reaffirms Grandview Kids’ and Ajax Public Library’s shared commitment to education, inclusivity, and community engagement, and will ensure the surrounding community has access to vital services and resources, while supporting the need for community spaces in Ajax and across Durham Region.
To learn more about the New Grandview Children’s Centre Redevelopment Project, visit our project page.
Infrastructure Ontario (IO) is a Crown agency of the Province of Ontario that supports the Ontario government’s initiatives to modernize and maximize the value of public infrastructure and real estate. Infrastructure Ontario and the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services are working with Grandview Kids on the project.