TORONTO – Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have awarded a fixed-price contract of $729.2 million to West End Connectors to design, build and finance the tunnels for the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension project.
The West End Connectors team includes:
- Developer: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dragados Canada Inc., Ghella Canada Ltd.
- Design: TYPSA Inc., EXP Services Inc.
- Construction: Aecon Infrastructure Management Inc., Dragados Canada Inc., Ghella Canada Ltd.
- Financial: ACS Infrastructure Canada, Aecon Concessions, Scotiabank Capital, Ghella Investments & Partnerships
The Eglinton Crosstown West Extension Advance Tunnel project underwent an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third-party fairness advisor. West End Connectors submitted the proposal which delivers the best value for Ontario taxpayers.
The project is being delivered through IO’s Public-Private Partnership (P3) model, which transfers appropriate risks associated with design, construction and financing of the project to the private sector.
Construction is expected to begin in spring 2021, with major tunnel boring works to start in spring/summer of 2022.
The Eglinton Crosstown West Extension Advance Tunnel scope of work includes:
- Approximately 6 kilometres of tunnelling for the 9.2-kilometre extension.
- Design and construction of launch and extraction shafts, tunnels, as well as headwalls for emergency exit buildings and stations.
- Supply tunnel boring machines and install segmental precast concrete tunnel liners.
- Activities necessary to build the tunnel (e.g. utility relocations, supports for shaft and headwalls, temporary power supply, lighting, ventilation, and drainage).
For more information, visit Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx.