TORONTO – Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Metrolinx have awarded a fixed-price contract of $757.1 million to Strabag to design, build and finance the tunnel for the Scarborough Subway Extension project.
The Strabag team includes:
- Construction Team: Strabag Inc.
- Design Team: Arup Canada Inc., Brian Isherwood & Associates Ltd.
- Financial Advisor: Strabag Inc.
The Scarborough Subway Extension Advance Tunnel project underwent an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third-party fairness advisor. Strabag submitted the proposal, which delivers the best value for Ontario taxpayers.
The project is being delivered through IO’s Public-Private Partnership (P3) model, which transfers appropriate risks associated with design, construction and financing of the project to the private sector.
Onsite mobilization and pre-construction work began this spring, with launch shaft construction beginning in June 2021. Major tunnel boring is expected to begin next year. Strabag estimates the majority of the labour will come from the Greater Toronto Area.
The Scarborough Subway Extension Advance Tunnel scope of work includes:
- Tunnelling works for the 7.8-kilometre subway extension, from Kennedy Station to McCowan Road/Sheppard Avenue.
- Design and construction of launch and extraction shafts, tunnel, as well as headwalls for emergency exit buildings and stations.
- Supplying the tunnel boring machine and installing segmental precast concrete tunnel liners.
- Activities necessary to build the tunnel (e.g. utility relocations, supports for shaft and headwalls, temporary power supply, lighting, ventilation, and drainage).
Disponible en français