A Division of Toronto East Health Network - Phase 1 New Patient Care Tower Project
TORONTO - Infrastructure Ontario (IO) and Michael Garron Hospital (MGH) have awarded a fixed-price contract to EllisDon Infrastructure MGH Inc. to design, build and finance the major redevelopment project, which includes a new patient care tower, at Michael Garron Hospital.
The contract is valued at $411 million. The selection of EllisDon Infrastructure MGH Inc. (EllisDon) is the result of an open, fair and competitive procurement process overseen by a third party fairness advisor.
The EllisDon team includes:
- Developer: EllisDon Capital Inc.
- Design-Builder: EllisDon Design Build Inc.
- Design Team: B+H Architects and Diamond Schmitt Architects
- Engineering Teams: Mulvey & Banani International Inc., Crossey Engineering Ltd., Stephenson Engineering Ltd. and WalterFedy
- Financial Advisor: EllisDon Capital Inc.
The project involves renovations within the existing hospital and new construction of an eight-storey patient care tower with a three-storey podium connecting to the existing hospital, as well as demolition of some existing space. The scope of work includes approximately 550,000 square feet of new space and 100,000 square feet of renovations.
The redevelopment project will enable the delivery of efficient, accessible, high-quality patient care, while replacing some of the oldest spaces in the hospital.
EllisDon will now mobilize on site and construction will begin, with an expected Substantial Completion date of September 2023.
Visit here for project details.
Improving access to better healthcare is part of Ontario's plan to create fairness and opportunity during this period of rapid economic change. The plan includes a higher minimum wage and better working conditions, free tuition for hundreds of thousands of students, easier access to affordable child care, and free prescription drugs for everyone under 25 through the biggest expansion of medicare in a generation.
- According to Ontario's 2017 Long-Term Report on the Economy, every $1 spent on public infrastructure has been shown to increase GDP by $6 in the long term.
- IO and the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care are working closely with Michael Garron Hospital to redevelop the hospital, which will remain publicly owned, controlled and accountable.
- This project is being delivered using IO's Alternative Financing and Procurement (AFP) model, an innovative way to finance and procure large, complex public infrastructure projects.
- 116 AFP projects have been assigned to IO as of September 30, 2017, with an approximate total capital value of $53.7 billion.
- The project is expected to achieve a Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED®) Silver certification for design excellence and sustainability.
- Ontario is making the largest infrastructure investment in hospitals, schools, public transit, roads and bridges in the province's history. To learn more about what's happening in your community, go to Ontario.ca/BuildON.
“Our government is committed to investing and expanding healthcare facilities in the thriving communities of Toronto, where we are helping residents gain access to the modernized care they need.”
Dr. Eric Hoskins, Minister of Health and Long-Term Care
“We are very excited to invest in an important project that will serve the healthcare needs of Toronto for years to come, while creating jobs and building up the economy.”
Bob Chiarelli, Minister of Infrastructure
“Together with EllisDon, Infrastructure Ontario and our communities, we will now embark on the largest construction project in the history of our hospital. Once complete, our facility will have more single patient bedrooms, consolidated clinic spaces, lush community gardens, and a large retail area off the main lobby. The design will also incorporate architectural elements which welcome diversity, harness natural light and facilitate a positive patient and family experience. I'm so proud of this project as well as the teams that worked tirelessly to get us here and look forward to all the benefits this project will bring to the future of care at Michael Garron Hospital.”
Sarah Downey, President and Chief Executive Officer, Michael Garron Hospital
“Michael Garron Hospital has been the cornerstone of our community's health care for generations. The positive impact that this expansion will have on my constituents, my neighbours, and my own family, will be immeasurable. Patients, doctors, technicians and nurses will all benefit from this incredible investment, and I thank Sarah Downey and the Michael Garron Hospital Board for their leadership, their vision, and their commitment to the people of Beaches-East York, and all of east Toronto.”
Arthur Potts, MPP for Beaches-East York
“We are excited to have reached this final major procurement milestone with our partners at Michael Garron Hospital and look forward to working with EllisDon to deliver this important project for this community using IO's fair, transparent and proven Alternative Financing and Procurement model.”
Ehren Cory, President and CEO, Infrastructure Ontario
Michael Garron Hospital
416-469-6580 x 3593
Disponible en français