- Project Type:
- BF - Build Finance
- Infrastructure Type:
- Health Care
- Price of Contract:
- $214.1 million
- Estimated Value for Money:
- $16.2 million
About the Project
- The Bluewater Health project involved the construction of a new seven-storey, 325,000-square-foot addition and the renovation of 130,000 square feet of existing space.
Request for QualificationsMar 21, 2006
Short-list Bidders SelectedOct 20, 2006
Request for ProposalsOct 20, 2006
Winning Bidder SelectedAug 29, 2007
Construction BeginsOct 04, 2007
Construction EndsSep 30, 2011
EllisDon Corporation, with financing provided by the Pacific and Western Bank of Canada and the Bank of Nova Scotia.
- A new emergency department, three times the size of the former department.
- A surgical centre with eight new operating rooms and four new procedure rooms.
- A consolidated maternal infant and child program, offering labour, birthing and pediatric services on one floor.
- 52 additional acute care beds, increasing the hospital's number of acute care beds by one third.
- Additional acute mental health programs, ambulatory care and dialysis centre.
- A bridge connecting the new addition to the existing building.
Community And Green Benefits
- The hospital's increased capacity improves community access to health care, reduces patient wait times and enhances access to emergency and acute care services.
- The new facility was designed and built to achieve Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification.
- At the peak of construction, more than 300 construction workers were on the Bluewater Health site daily.
Project documents are available for informational purposes only. Neither Infrastructure Ontario nor Bluewater Health makes any representation or warranty regarding the accuracy or completeness of the content or form of these documents.
Infrastructure Ontario and Bluewater Health, in their sole and absolute discretion, may choose to make available amendments, revisions, modifications or replacements to these documents. These documents remain open for further revision, modification, replacement or cancellation by Infrastructure Ontario and Bluewater Health at any time and in no event shall either Infrastructure Ontario or Bluewater Health be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on the content of these documents.
- Request for Qualifications Issued - Mar. 21, 2006
- Request for Proposals Issued - Oct. 20, 2006
- Request for Proposals Deadline Update - Jan. 24, 2007
- Request for Proposals Deadline Update - Feb. 22, 2007
- Request for Proposals Deadline Update - Mar. 20, 2007
- Request for Proposals Deadline Update - Apr. 23, 2007
- Request for Proposals Closed - May 1, 2007
- Winning Bidder Named - Aug. 29, 2007
- Financial Close - Oct. 4, 2007
- Construction work starts - Oct. 12, 2007
- Topping Off ceremony - Apr. 20, 2009
- Completion of New Main Entrance Exterior - Oct. 23, 2009
- Grand Opening - June 28, 2010
- Substantial Completion - Nov. 15, 2011