GO Rail Expansion - Union Station Enhancement Project
- Greater Toronto Area
- Project Type:
- Alliance Model
- Infrastructure Type:
- Contract Value:
- Target cost of $562 million
About the Project
Union Station is the major transit hub in the City of Toronto. Infrastructure upgrades, such as the construction of a new platform and the development of a new concourse area below the platform will further help to accommodate increased capacity as part of the planned expansion of GO Transit rail service.
GO Rail Expansion will transform the transportation network in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area over the next decade. Metrolinx will transform the GO Transit rail network into a system that will deliver two-way, all-day service every 15 minutes over core segments of the GO Rail network. System-wide infrastructure upgrades will include: adding tracks, expanding stations, electrification of the rail network, new locomotives and train control systems to enable more frequent service.
Request for QualificationsOct 28, 2019
Short-list Bidders SelectedFeb 28, 2020
Request for ProposalsFeb 28, 2020
Winning Bidder SelectedJan 27, 2022
To help increase the capacity at Union Station, the scope of work includes:
- Construction of new platforms, with canopies and vertical access elements, such as stairs and elevators
- Construction of two new tracks designed to allow for future passenger train speed up to 45mph, with associated signal works
- Construction of a new concourse area below the new platforms that will connect the York, Bay and Via Concourse, Union Square and the Scotiabank Galleria and both York and Bay Streets
- Storm water management system and other building systems
Community And Green Benefits
- Reduced traffic congestion, greenhouse gases and fuel consumption
- Improved quality of life for commuters by reducing daily travel time
Design and construction of the project will generate employment opportunities, produce significant benefits for commuters.
These project documents are being made available on this website for informational purposes only. Neither Infrastructure Ontario nor Metrolinx makes any representation or warranty regarding the accuracy or completeness of the content or form of these documents.
Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx, in their sole and absolute discretion, may choose to make available on this website amendments, revisions, modifications or replacements to these documents. These documents remain open for further revision, modification, replacement or cancellation by Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx at any time and in no event shall either Infrastructure Ontario or Metrolinx be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on the content of these documents.