Ontario Place Revitalization
- Project Type:
- Infrastructure Type:
- Ministry of Infrastructure
About the Project
Infrastructure Ontario (IO) is working with the Ministry of Infrastructure on the future redevelopment of Ontario Place.
The first phase of the revitalization vision was completed in June 2017 with the opening of the 7.5 acre Trillium Park and 1.3 kilometre William G. Davis Trail that has successfully transformed a former parking lot into a new waterfront park.
On January 18, 2019, the Ontario Government announced the beginning of a process for the comprehensive redevelopment of the Ontario Place site.
On May 28, 2019, the Ontario Government launched a formal Call for Development for the redevelopment. The Call for Development closed on September 24, 2019.
On July 30, 2021 the Ontario Government announced the next step in a phased, multi-partner approach to the modernization of Ontario Place.
In October 2021, government began the public consultation process, with two virtual public information sessions; a virtual technical information session.
In March 2022, the Environmental Assessment and public realm consultation was launched.
Please visit the technical consultation website for the Ontario Place redevelopment project to learn more and find out how you can participate.
In April 2023, the Ontario Government announced the relocation of the Ontario Science Centre to Ontario Place
- Repair Work RFP: December 1, 2021
- Repair Work Award: February 17 2022
- Site Servicing RFP: December 19, 2022
- Site Servicing Award: May 18, 2023
- Planning, Design and Compliance Ontario Science Centre RFP: June 22, 2023
- Planning, Design and Compliance Ontario Science Centre Award: December 1, 2023
- Coordinate engagement and support as necessary from all levels of government
- Establish a strategy for the redevelopment of Ontario Place that minimizes provincial costs and maximizes cost sharing opportunities with public and private sector partners
- Prepare and assess a full range of revitalization options
- Design and manage the international Call for Development process to secure redevelopment partners for Ontario Place
- Negotiate commercial agreements with private sector tenants
- Work with government partners and stakeholders to manage the statutory approvals process
- Undertake due diligence and site preparation activities to make the site development-ready
- Leverage private sector investment to optimize the site and deliver public benefit through site redevelopment