880 Bay Street
- 880 Bay Street, Toronto
- Project Type:
- Real Estate (Direct Delivery, Stipulated Sum)
- Infrastructure Type:
- Project Cost:
- $3.2 million
- Ministry of Infrastructure
About the Project
Infrastructure Ontario successfully completed the dismantling of a 7-storey office building at 880 Bay Street in downtown Toronto. The sequential and systematic deconstruction of the concrete and brick building in a high-traffic area at Bay and Grosvenor decreases the government's office space footprint by 168,000 square feet.
See a sped up, time-lapse video of the demolition on IO's You Tube channel.
The 880 Bay project was part of a strategic program involving the demolition of 47 old, unusable buildings across the province. This helps the government avoid any ongoing costs for operations and maintenance, while also eliminating the risk of liability.
- Request for Qualification: May 2016
- Contract Award: August 2016
- Construction started: October 2016
- Construction completed: March 2017
Priestly Demolition Inc.
- Priestly Demolition proposed an innovative approach to providing pedestrian safety. Sea containers were used as street level protective hoarding. It was the first time these containers were used for this purpose in the City of Toronto.
- The 880 Bay demolition was environmentally friendly, with a waste diversion rate of approximately 95 per cent. Building materials were salvaged as the project progressed and then recycled to avoid landfill sites.
- The overall demolition program represents a cost avoidance of approximately $1.3 million annually
These project documents are being made available on this website for informational purposes only. Neither Infrastructure Ontario nor its clients make any representation or warranty regarding the accuracy or completeness of the content or form of these documents.
Infrastructure Ontario in its sole and absolute discretion, may choose to make available on this website amendments, revisions, modifications or replacements to these documents. These documents remain open for further revision, modification, replacement or cancellation by Infrastructure Ontario at any time and in no event shall either Infrastructure Ontario or its clients be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on the content of these documents.