Thunder Bay Correctional Complex
- Thunder Bay
- Project Type:
- DBFM - Design Build Finance Maintain
- Infrastructure Type:
- Contract Value:
- $1.2 billion
About the Project
Infrastructure Ontario is working with the Ministry of the Solicitor General to deliver a new Thunder Bay Correctional Complex, to replace the city's existing jail and correctional centre.
Request for QualificationsMar 26, 2018
Short-list Bidders SelectedMar 31, 2021
Request for ProposalsMar 31, 2021
Winning Bidder SelectedApr 22, 2022
Construction BeginsNov 03, 2022
- The project will result in development of a 345-bed, multi-purpose correctional facility.
- This project supports the ministry's strategy of replacing aging institutions to address health, safety and security issues, including efficiencies of design, technology and space. It will improve access to programming, living conditions and education, while also updating automation and technology.
Community And Green Benefits
The correctional complex will be designed to meet the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certification, with a focus on energy efficiency, healthy indoor environments and reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
- The Thunder Bay Correctional Complex project is being delivered using a DBFM model. Key benefits of a DBFM model include significant risk transfer to the private sector over the life of the project agreement, greater cost and schedule certainty, greater potential for design and construction efficiencies and innovation and higher maintenance quality encouraged through performance-based service payments over the 30 year term.
- Based on precedent experience, a DBFM procurement model typically has delivered a value for money savings in the range of 15% to 22% compared to undertaking the same projects using traditional delivery models.
- Learn more about IO’s delivery models and associated features.
These project documents are being made available on this website for informational purposes only. Neither Infrastructure Ontario (IO) nor the Ministry of the Solicitor General makes any representation or warranty regarding the accuracy or completeness of the content or form of these documents.
IO and the Ministry of the Solicitor General, in their sole and absolute discretion, may choose to make available on this website amendments, revisions, modifications or replacements to these documents.
These documents remain open for further revision, modification, replacement or cancellation by IO and the Ministry of the Solicitor General at any time and in no event shall either IO or the Ministry of the Solicitor General be responsible or liable, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on the content of these documents.